By Mark Miller
Invisalign are a set of clear, specially designed and removable aligners that are worn as retainers to fix misaligned teeth. They are usually changed every two weeks and are worn all day except when eating and brushing.
Some advantages of using these invisible braces include:
1. Invisibility: these retainers are barely noticeable except to the very keen eye. It, therefore, does not get in the way of your physical appearance.
2. Accurate: this type of treatment is planned and anticipated using special software and equipment. Impressions of your teeth are produced using x-rays. Later software determines how much your teeth will move and over what period. Specific aligners are then created to fit each stage of treatment.
3. Comfortable: this type of treatment does not involve wires and brackets. There are therefore no wires that will rupture your skin or disrupt your eating. Cleaning is also very easy. During adjustments, less pain and pressure is involved as compared to other types of dental treatment.
4. Short Treatment Time: on average this kind of treatment usually takes around one year. The retainers are changed and adjusted every two weeks and should be worn around 20 hours each day.
For Proper Use Of The Aligners:
– Follow Instructions: following your orthodontist’s instructions during the treatment period is crucial. It is because the braces will see to very minimal movement of your teeth during each phase of treatment and not adhering to the dentist’s word will mean you are not achieving your desired results.
– Effective Treatment: you should make sure you wear the aligners for a specific period each day. The aligners should be on for between 20-22 hours each day and should only be removed when eating or drinking. Each set of aligners must be replaced after two weeks and not more than that period.
You might have sometimes to forego activities that will make you remove the braces. This is because you should always comply with the treatment schedule prescribed to you by your dentist. If you violate this schedule, you will not get the expected result as each set is only made to achieve a certain measure of teeth straightening.
Prior to this treatment, you will have a consultation meeting with your dentist. He or she will evaluate your general health and, later, your dental health to find out if clear detachable braces are the best option for you. He will also tell you about the risks, expectations and general instructions to observe during your treatment period.
A sequence of pictures and x-rays of your teeth will be taken. These images will be used to create a 3-D image of your teeth. This practical illustration helps them to monitor movement at every stage and make any corrections necessary during treatment. Using the same technology, a set of between 18-30 aligners will be made to be worn for periods of two weeks. For best results, they should be worn for 20-22 hours.
During treatment, the Australian Dental Association and the Australian Dental Council advice patients to carefully clean your teeth properly paying extra, individual attention to each tooth. Make sure you have the plaque removed during your visits to the clinic. Also, remember to remove your aligners while having meals. Most importantly, make sure you find a credible and trustworthy orthodontist to take care of your teeth.
Mark Miller is an expert dentist at Dental as Anything. He has years of experience handling complex dental cases and is an outstanding staff at the centre. Mark is also a valuable member of the Australian Dental Association. For more info about dental services visit our website.