By Mark Miller
Just like a plastic surgeon, a cosmetic dentist is responsible for enhancing your facial appearance and making sure you get that bright smile you have always desired. We all know that a beautiful appearance automatically boosts self-confidence in every human being. A cosmetic dental practitioner makes this possible by enhancing the general look of your face when he/ she fixes your dental problems.
These dentists, unlike the regular ones, deal with aesthetic problems instead of functional ones. While a regular dentist will fill your teeth, the cosmetic ones will fill the spaces in between your teeth and makes them whiter. They also deal with structural issues and ensure teeth look as good as they ought to. The Australian Dental Council estimates that over 300,000 Australian seek cosmetic dental services each year which reflects the importance of cosmetic dental practitioners.
Some of the services these dental specialists offer include:
1. Teeth whitening: teeth may lose their colour due to reasons such as lifestyle habits such as smoking. Some medication may also affect the colour of the teeth. Stains from food and beverage and also the lack of cleaning them may also be another cause for discolouring the teeth. This problem, however, may be taken care of either at home or in the clinic by these specialists
2. Alignment of teeth: they are also able to take care of misaligned teeth by the use of braces. Unlike in the past, these dentists have come up with new and improved brace systems that ensure you get a more discreet and personalized solution to your dental problem.
3. Restoring and reshaping damaged teeth: they can restore and reshape damaged teeth by use of instruments such as veneers. Methods such as bonding can also be used to fix cracks and chips on teeth. In very severe cases, dental crowns are used to rectify the problem.
4. Replacement of missing teeth: these dentists are now able to replace lost teeth and fill gaps on the jaws using crowns, bridges and dentures. Unlike in the past, these procedures are now less painful, and the treatment takes a shorter period due to improved innovations in the same field.
Here are some factors to consider when choosing a cosmetic dental practitioner:
– Credibility and reputation: it is wise to opt for reputable doctors whose previous jobs have proved their credibility rather than just going for anyone who bears that title. Remember your cosmetic surgery will at the end of the day determine your beauty.
– Consultation: you will be able to tell the extent of your doctor’s talent and professionalism during the meeting. It is, therefore, important to schedule a consultation prior to the surgery to ascertain how good the dentist you have chosen is.
– Computer simulation: most if not all of these specialists have imaging software where they can scan the patients photographs and add effects to get a picture of what the patient will look like at the end of the treatment. If you find a doctor with this kind of equipment, it is safe to continue your treatment.
The Dental Board of Australia advices to always make sure you get a very credible dentist and ensure they are certified by the relevant authorities because this specialist is supposed to handle a very crucial part of you and in the long run his job will determine how you will look.
Mark Miller is a cosmetic dentist at Dental as Anything. He offers an array of cosmetic dental services that are aimed at improving a person’s dental appearance. Cosmetic dentistry techniques employed at Dental as Anything produce the best results you can find. Take a look at http://www.dentalasanything.com.au/cosmetic-dentistry/ for more info and services.